Study shows a 90% upsurge in online queries for Pest Control services across India
India, Chennai, October 5, 2016: Sulekha, India’s largest and fastest growing digital platforms for local service needs, today unveiled the results of a study undertaken on the PEST CONTROL SERVICES category, one of the many Local Services categories it serves. The study shows a 90% upsurge in online requests for Pest Control services across India in the last one year.
The yearly outbreak of Dengue and Chikungunya in metropolitan cities like Delhi, Mumbai & Bangalore is one of the biggest concerns for the citizens and the government. Residents of these cities are now getting more aware about these dreaded diseases and taking precautionary measures to prevent their outbreak. Increased awareness has also led to people taking steps around not only getting rid of mosquitoes but pests of all kinds.
This study is based on an analysis of over 400,000 searches on Sulekha in the last one year (September 2015 to August 2016) for Pest Control services, and nearly 30,000 online requests in this Local Services category on the portal. The study covers 8 key metros in the country – Delhi–NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Pune. The study covers different types of Pest Control services that people are availing for both residential and corporate pest control:
- Bed bugs pest control
- Cockroach pest control
- Rodents pest control
- Mosquito Fogging
- Mosquito nets and screen searches
- Termite pest control
- Lizards pest control
- Birds pest control
Key findings of the study:
- Compared to last year, there is a 90% rise in online searches for Pest Control services.
- The top 3 markets that have seen the maximum growth in pest control requests are: Delhi – NCR (185%), Pune (140%) and Hyderabad (121%), indicating high-levels of interest around getting rid of pests amongst the residents of the city.
- The other markets have seen the following growth: Kolkata (116%), Mumbai (94%), Chennai (65%), Ahmedabad (51%) and Bangalore (42%).
Delhi-NCR leads with a growth of 185% in the Pest Control requests with Rodents pest control, Mosquito fogging and Cockroach pest control seeing a rise of 1059%, 827% and 477% respectively.
Observation across categories:
- Rodents pest control services is the category that has seen the maximum growth service requests in the last one year – a growth of 809% across all cities surveyed.
- Cockroach pest control and Bed bugs pest control were the most searched categories across all cities surveyed.
- Termite pest control and bed bugs pest control are the categories that have seen a growth of more than 100%.
Other interesting findings:
- Bangalore, Mumbai & Pune constitute around 75% of the Bed bugs services searched across India.
- The leading service partners for Pest control in India are: Hicare services Pvt. Ltd., Pestfree India & Golden Net.
Commenting on the findings, Satya Prabhakar, CEO, Sulekha, said, “The study indicates the increasing awareness of Indians towards maintaining the safety of their families. People do not want to take chances with rodents, cockroaches, mosquitoes or other pests at home anymore. Pest control is a high-value category in the $200 billion Local Services market in India, and we have seen a healthy growth in this category this past year. We feel it as our responsibility to focus on developing this category further, based on data intelligence and our market experience.”
Sulekha is one of India’s largest and fastest-growing digital platforms for local service need fulfillment in over 40 cities, connecting tens of millions of users and local businesses in 800+ need categories such as computer training, serviced apartments, wooden flooring, party catering, baby-sitting, elder care, yoga lessons, kitchen renovation, wedding photography, moving-packing, pest control, event planning and auto repair. Sulekha has 14 offices and 1,300+ employees across India, including Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Chennai, Austin.