Supply Chain Management is an important thing in today’s business for managing competition among marketing partners for operational efficiency. Gati, which was founded in 1989, is India’s pioneer in Express Distribution and Supply Chain Solutions, with a strong presence in Asia Pacific region and SAARC countries, along with an extensive network across India providing timely deliveries to 99% districts in India, covering 672 out of 676 districts in India.
Gati’s integrated and IT backed multi modal network of air, road and rail coupled with Pan India warehousing facilities across India, allows them to provide customized Supply Chain Solutions to customers across industries.
Gati has an extensive range of service offerings such as Express Distribution, Warehousing Solutions, M-VATS (Bulk Load, Point to Point), Cold Chain Solution, E-commerce Logistics, Fulfilment Services, Freight Forwarding, and Trading Solutions. Gati serves the top leading organizations across FMCG, Auto, Textile, Engineering, Pharma, IT, Retail, Electrical Electronics among others.
Driving Force behind Gati’s Journey to the Paramount
Mr. Mahendra Agarwal is the Executive Chairman of the Company. He is a leader and pioneer in Express Distribution and Supply Chain Solutions. He established Gati in 1989 with an aim to redefine the logistics industry. His foresight has been instrumental in the company’s exponential growth by venturing into global markets and diversifying into varied domains. Under his visionary leadership, company has evolved into a major ILSP (Integrated Logistics Service Provider).
The concept of Door Pick up and Door Delivery, Express Cargo, Retail Express Cargo, Multimodal Express Delivery, Integrated Logistics and many such innovative ideas were conceptualised and pioneered by him successfully in India. Mr. Mahendra Agarwal is an avid speaker and has been invited to many symposia and forums across India.
Differentiating Factors and Revenue Model
The following factors help Gati move in the direction that they have set through their business strategy to expand into:
Integrated service offering: Gati provides a broad range of logistics services to their customers seeking to use a variety of transportation options to optimize their supply-chain needs. Through their flagship express distribution service, which is a joint venture with Kintetsu World Express – Japan-based global logistics provider, they offer time-sensitive surface, air and rail services and supply chain solutions across India.
Strong network coverage and wide geographical reach: To support their growth initiatives, Gati has established an integrated branch network that has helped to optimize operational costs and improve their delivery services effectively. They operate through more than 550 operating units in over six countries.
Information Technology capabilities: Gati has developed their proprietary enterprise resource planning software, GEMS (Gati Enterprise Management Systems). The advanced IT system ensures sharing of operations data between their operations, customers and service providers in order to facilitate warehouse management, route optimization, freight consolidation, back office functions and other services.
Leading change in the Industry
Most recent initiatives Gati has used are:
- Shop-Floor Automation (SFA): In early FY2017, they have reached an important milestone through the launch of their ambitious Shop-Floor Automation (SFA) Initiative. This package-level visibility through 100% Bar Code scanning is unprecedented in the domestic express distribution sector, especially in the context of Gati’s scale and reach. Gati is the only logistics company in India to have full transparency and packet level visibility with 100% Bar Coding.
- GST Implementation: Through proactive actions over several months, the company lived up to its customer promise of ‘Zero Downtime’ switchover on the GST transition date of July 1st. Warehousing requirements, load patterns and travel distances are all expected to change as customers re-design their supply chain over the next few months. Combination of overall market place opportunity, rigorous business preparedness and a full portfolio of integrated logistics services gives Gati, the confidence of maximizing the GST potential in the immediate short term.
- Eway bill: With the e-way bill legislation, the government proposes to replace the erstwhile physical interface with a digital interface for tracking movement of goods and check tax evasion. The e-way bill is an electronically generated document (mandatory for movement of goods worth more than INR 50,000). Express providers like Gati will need to generate e-waybill against a customer consignment from the commencement of movement of goods and then continue generating consolidated e-waybills each time a vehicle is changed until the consignments are delivered to the consignee.
Our 100 percent shop floor automation continues to be the benchmark in the logistics industry and provides us with a significantly advantageous position to benefit in the E-Way bill related environment. Gati is fully prepared for the e-way bill roll-out and as the trial phase of the e-way bill continues at this point, we at Gati have already made E-Way bill part of our “business as usual”.
Gati owes its success to the dedication and commitment of their employees.
Their vision is to become an employer of choice by providing a compelling employee value proposition. They strive to attract the best talent in the industry and ensure their employees’ development, retention and contribution to the Company’s success. They create work life balance which is about staying connected – to ourself, to our values, to the relationships created along the way – and to work and actions that are meaningful. The most significant part is that the person should undertake his/her work with integrity and feel intrinsically rewarding.
Gati’s Awards & Recognitions
- Won “ CIO of the Year Award 2017 for Category Transport & Logistics “ by BSE – CIO Klub
- Won “CIO Powerlist 2017 award for Category Transport & Logistics Icon” by CORE (Centre of Recognition and Excellence).
- Won “Intelligent Enterprise Award 2017, Category – Enterprise Mobility” presented by Express Computer 2016
- 10th ELSC Leadership Awards:
- 10th ELSC Leadership awards- Best Service Provider of the Year ‘16
- 10th ELSC Leadership awards- Best 3 PL company of the Year ‘16
- 10th ELSC Leadership awards for Gati Kausar Cold Chain Warehouse of the Year ‘16
- Cold Chain Transporter of the Year ‘16
- Gati Kausar wins CII Food and Safety Award of the Year ‘16