We all know how our environment is facing a quintessential crisis in terms of pollution and exhaustion of natural consumable resources. Due to our negligence towards the safety of the environment, it has become necessary that we all collectively take responsibility as well as measures to counter the adverse effects of the actions some of us inevitably have caused.
Working with the same motivation and vision, CarbonFixers is helping businesses in making informed decisions with considering the best interests towards environment. It has designed new frameworks, strategies and methodologies that are beyond regular standards worldwide. The company helps other organizations to understand that by focusing on greater use of greener processes and smart devices will ensure, them experiencing a new sense of doing business.
“We have experienced consultants onboard for each of the technical expertise required to deliver the best solutions,” says the Founder and Principle Consultant of CarbonFixers, Payal Rastogi. She has professional and entrepreneurial experience of twenty three years in many verticals, industries, and countries. She has been working on issues like climate change and sustainability for the past ten years.
With the extraordinary feats of this venture, let’s read what Payal has in store for us through this feature:
What is your vision behind your startup? Tell us how the idea came about.
Carbonfixers wants to improve the low carbon economy where we try to solve key climate change problems and find the right solutions for mitigation and adaptation. Become Global leaders in Green Business Consulting, Advisory and Carbon Management through‘Robust global delivery business model.’
We want to create new opportunities that are going to emerge to save on carbon, and opex costs, commercialize new products and services, and create brand differentiation in the marketplace.
I was working on Global Carbon Footprint Report for FTSE listed company as a full time job, when I got this idea of starting Carbonfixers as this may be the future. I had learnt a few technical aspects while on project, which was given to me, it was like a call of destiny. I studied and learnt more about it over the time and decided to quit job and become a consultant. Since 2009 I am working on climate change, green buildings, sustainability solutions, and carbon mitigation.
What services/products/solutions do you offer?
- Carbonfixers is a climate change company started few years ago, to help buildings; infrastructure and businesses become climate resilient through technology aggregation, resource efficiency and innovative strategies. Sustainability is a strategy that helps an organization manage their resources more efficiently and responsibly.
- We can help all manufacturing and services companies achieve their sustainability targets. We are working on ESG Audits which is becoming norms for all large impact investments.
- Each project has been delivered differently. We are evolving every day. The pipeline also has very different requirements and deliverables; we are constantly introducing innovative business models and researching for new solutions and products.
What were the challenges you came across during the inception of your startup?
- I created all frameworks, methodologies and used all my prior experiences with large companies to design consulting and advisory plans. We do have some technical people to work on key tasks. It’s still challenging as still in last 10 years subject has not become the core company process.
- We still have to explain what carbon footprint is and sustainability impacts opex savings etc. Awareness is better as compare to 5 years ago.
- It’s difficult to find young talent to work with you with right knowledge that is needed for us to consult and figure out stuff.
Is your company bootstrapped or have you received funding and do you plan on approaching investors?
This venture is self-funded by the owner personally. We haven’t approached any investors yet. We may connect with investors in future as we develop some new tools and apps for larger audience.
As the founder/CEO, what is your opinion on the current landscape of startup culture in India?
At present, startup culture is only getting better and better. But a consulting company is not yet considered a startup unless we have some product. There is too much focus IT related projects.
Government has taken some great steps and I have seen people using the schemes well.
According to you, how important is it to be updated with technology as per your industry sector?
It is very important for us to be updated with latest technologies and global innovations. This industry or subject has a very long way to go and still million innovations are required. Every day so much more is innovated and it’s changing very quickly. We are constantly upgrading our knowledge repositories as well. I read and study too to stay updated with global happenings etc.
How do you strategize on scaling your company in the future?
- We plan to develop some tools and apps as we deals with humungous amount of data. This can be used by large multinationals to SMEs. We consult globally; we have done consulting projects in other countries too.
- At this point we are growing organically, slowly and gradually. We have become a ‘Brand’ in our respective area of business for sure.
- Our company is 100% scalable to a very large global scale and has long term viability. This line of businesses and competitors globally has not even covered 1% of the global infrastructure and companies.